Thursday, May 31, 2012

Steak, Shiitake and Bok Choy Stir-fry (Recipe)

Every Monday night, my friends and I get together for some much needed girl time, gossip, and of course, the Bachelorette! But to make these Monday nights slightly more delicious, we decided to take turns cooking dinner for each another.

This past Monday was my turn. I knew I had to bring my A-game, as last week we were treated to a mouth-watering salmon entrée served with fresh avocado lime salsa! Now, as a fan of all things stir-fry, I decided to go with a steak, shitake mushroom and bok choy stir-fry. It looked easy and quick to make, yet healthy and nutritious, with just the right amount of spicy flavour!

So here’s how you can recreate this tasty meal:


Ingredients:

2 tbsp grated fresh ginger (I used 1 tbsp fresh ginger & 1 tbsp powder ginger)
1 tbsp minced fresh garlic
3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
4 tsp cornstarch, divided
1 tsp toasted sesame oil (I used regular olive oil)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 pound flank steak, trimmed and thinly sliced
Cooking spray
2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms (about 1/2 pound)
1 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
1 cup red bell pepper strips
4 cups sliced bok choy (about 1 medium head)
1 cup less-sodium beef broth

Directions:

To begin, I combined the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, 2 tsp of cornstarch, oil, and crushed red pepper in a large zip-top bag and added the sliced steak to the bag. I then sealed and marinated the meat in the refrigerator overnight (the meat really soaked up the flavour!). However, if you are short on time, you can simply marinate it for 20 minutes.

Next, I cut up the mushrooms, onion, red bell pepper and bok choy and then heated a large nonstick wok over medium-high heat. To make it healthier, I coated the wok with cooking spray (instead of oil) and added the mushrooms, onion, and bell peppers. I cooked the vegetables for roughly 5 minutes and then transferred it to a large bowl. 

I then added the bok choy to the wok and cooked for 2 minutes until the leaves were slightly wilted, and transferred it to the bowl with the rest of the veggies. I covered the bowl with my cutting board to keep it warm. 

From here, I recoated the wok with cooking spray and then added in the steak. I cooked it for roughly 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the meat was browned, I transfered it to the bowl of veggies. 

The last step involved preparing the sauce, which made the entire stir-fry. First, I combined the broth and remaining 2 tsp of cornstarch to the wok and brought it to a boil. I let the mixture thicken as I stirred it constantly. Five minutes later, I returned the steak and vegetables to the wok and tossed it gently to coat. Another minute later, and the meal was ready! I served the stir-fry on a plate of brown long-grain rice.

The overall feedback from my friends was very positive, with one even pointing out that it was ‘restaurant caliber’! 

Nutritional Information: 270 calories, Fat 9g, Protein 28.6g, Carb 16.9g, Fiber 3.4g. (per serving: 1 ½ cups)

Verdict: Delicious twist on the traditional stir-fry…but I might recommend adding more red hot pepper flakes to make it spicier!

Prep Time: 15 minutes (cutting up steak and vegetables)
Cook Time: 20 minutes

Rating: 8.5/10

Looking for more healthy recipes? Check out: http://www.cookinglight.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment