Birthdays and cupcakes go hand and hand, which is why I decided to make these delicious Oreo cupcakes for my best friend's birthday. These cupcakes are truly scrumptious and include an Oreo surprise at the bottom. That's right, you put an entire Oreo cookie at the bottom of the cupcake! The rich, moist decadent cake with a crunchy Oreo cookie is the perfect combination of flavour and texture.
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 package Oreo cookies, regular size
- Cupcake liners
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 1 package mini Oreo cookies, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners. Place a regular size Oreo cookie in the bottom of each liner.
- In your stand mixer, sift cocoa powder, flour, baking soda and baking powder together. Add in the sugar and salt.
- With your mixer on low speed, add eggs, one at a time, and then the vanilla, water, vegetable oil and buttermilk. Mix on medium for 2 minutes until combined.
- Take 1/2 of remaining cookies and chop coarsely and add to cake mix.
- Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes until set.
- Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
- Cream together butter and cream cheese.
- Add vanilla, then add powdered sugar slowly until blended well.
- Chop remaining regular-sized Oreos very fine, or grind them in a food processor. Add to frosting.
- After cupcakes have cooled, frost and decorate with mini Oreos.
Verdict: A delicious chocolate cupcake with a hidden treat at the bottom!