Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Taylor's Genuine Food & Wine Bar (Review)

In honour of my friend visiting from Toronto, we decided to treat ourselves to a fancy meal. While there were many different choices, we went with 'Taylor's Genuine Food & Wine Bar' in the Glebe. I had wanted to try it out for a while, as I am constantly driving past it and was curious as to what it had to offer.

Upon entering the restaurant, I was immediately pleased by the cozy and laid-back atmosphere. We felt both comfortable and welcomed, and were happily greeted by the host. The wait staff were friendly and knowledgeable and lacked the usual snobbiness found in most pricey establishments.

To start, we decided to share the 'Seed to Sausage' charcuterie board, which included an assortment of meats, pickled vegetables and bread and crostini for $35. It was a tough call between sharing the board or ordering the fresh seasonal soup, which was some sort of mushroom creation.

You also have the option to create your own charcuterie board by choosing from a variety of meats and cheeses. But since each one ranges from $7 to $12 I think that the combination board is the best deal.
For our main course, it was again a hard choice. Everything on the menu sounded absolutely delicious. In the end, two of my friends went with the 'Oceanwise Wild Pacific Halibut' with golden quinoa fried rice, organic bok choy and Acorn Greek coriander-coconut chill sauce ($32). They both described it as a very fresh and extremely tasty. 


My other friend and I both chose the 'Crispy Palm D'Or Duck Magret' with Moorish chickpeas, dry Spanish chorizo, and Organic Terre a Terre Calvo Nero ($30). I have to admit, I didn't know what a lot of that was, but it was amazing! The duck was cooked to perfection and the sauce was exquisite! 


For dessert, we decided to treat ourselves. Three of us went with the Vanilla Creme Brûlée ($10), which was just perfect. It rivalled my favourite Creme Brûlée from Geneva, Switzerland. 


My other friend went with the Lemon Bar with strawberry coulis, meringue and lemon sorbet ($10). She raved about it with every bite she took. But she wasn't stingy...she shared a bit with all of us. Usually I am not a big fan of anything lemon flavoured when it comes to desserts, but this was sooo scrumptious! The texture was great and the flavours were sweet and refreshing. It definitely made me question my distaste for lemon!


Overall, it was a fabulous night, with great company and awesome food!

Verdict: Imaginative menu and comfortable atmosphere

Cost: Entrees vary from $24 to $32

Hours: Mon-Sat: 11:30am - 2pm, 5:30pm - 10pm; Sun: 5:30pm - 10pm

Taylor's Genuine Wine and Food Bar, 1091 Bank Street, Ottawa ON

No comments:

Post a Comment